Tuesday, February 23, 2010

When I am Afraid

As I sat at my computer just a few moments ago, I began to think about life and all that’s occurred recently. Events include the fall of a man I thought highly of, friends learning an initial diagnosis of cancer, my seemingly endless search for work, and now, an appointment tomorrow to have some health concerns checked out. You’ve been there – many of you are there now. No one likes the loss of a friend, no one enjoys hearing about illness, very few people enjoy being out of paying work, and I venture to say no one enjoys seeing a doctor. As I thought on these things I began to freak out. Having only one real option, I began to pray.

In asking God for a calming peace, I was reminded of a verse I haven’t thought of in quite a long time – Psalm 56:3. David writes, “What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.” (KJV); I appreciate the NASB’s, “When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You.”

Charles Spurgeon, in his work The Treasury of David, expresses his view that because man is sinful, we are prone to fear. Our intellect forbids us from ignorant recklessness but the complexity of our mind allows for the simultaneous existence of both fear and faith. Spurgeon continues, “To trust when there is no cause for fear, is but the name of faith, but to be reliant upon God when occasions for alarm are abundant and pressing, is the conquering faith of God’s elect.” (Spurgeon, n.d.)

While the circumstances and events of life may momentarily shake our faith, we will stand fast in God’s faithfulness and strength. Staying close to Him allows us to sing praises in the midst of trial and, through those praises, encourage our brothers and sisters in their time of need. Am I concerned about the future? Of course I am. However, the same Yahweh who knew me before I was formed in the womb knows what the future holds. I’ll let Him handle what’s to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment